Monday, September 19, 2011

Weekend Re-Cap #16

Best week ever!  Ok, maybe not ever, but it was a great week
It was my nephew Cole’s “Star Day” at his pre-school Tuesday which means he can choose to do whatever he wants.  Play a game he chooses, read his favorite book, do his favorite craft, bring in something for “show and tell,” etc.  The kid who was the star the day before brought in his cat.  (How exciting!)  Cole decided he wanted Landon to come in for his special day and wear a blue Cubs shirt, just like him so they could match!  I left work for a little bit so I could bring Landon in.  Since we had to be there at 10:30 I had to have the sitter wake Landon up from his nap.  He was a zombie until we got to the classroom; it was like walking into a box of crayola crayons!  Between just being woken up, all of the colors in the room, things hanging from the ceiling, the toys all around the room and the 12 kids staring at him; it took him a few minutes to snap out of it.  It is just so funny to me how 4 and 5 year olds get entertained at the simplest things.  Landon just sat on the carpet for 30 minutes and the children loved it.  Of course he would start crawling, screaming (in excitement), playing with the kids shoes, you know, normal baby things and they just watched him.  Towards the end of the 30 minutes I gave him his pacifier since he started getting fussy and a few times it fell on the floor.  Two times, two different kids picked the pacifier up for him; they handed it over and then wiped off their hands and made a face as if the pacifier was the most disgusting thing they have ever touched in their lives.  Gotta love kids!  Landon had such a great time; he was so good that they even invited him back!  Thanks Cole for inviting Landon to “Star Day,” he can’t wait to show you off to his friends one day too!

 

I have the best boss ever(shh, don’t tell him I said that) Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this past week I have been coming in a little early so I can leave work early in order for me to attend a very important event: Landon’s swimming lessons!!! 
Yep, we signed him up for swimming and he couldn’t be happier.  I am even happy and willing to get up 30 minutes early!  Now that, my friend, is love!  Unfortunately, the only class around that is in the evening is at Wawasee High School.  So, 3 nights a week, for 3 weeks, we drive an hour (+) total for a half hour class.  But you know what?  After seeing Landon in the pool, I would drive 5 hours for a half hour class!  (well, maybe not on a work night)  I am so happy that we are able to do this with Landon, it is something the Schrockstar’s will remember for a long time!

 

I was a little nervous about his reaction to the pool.  He loves taking a bath but when I have put him in a little kiddie pool before, he didn’t really like it.  I think he is like his mommy and doesn’t like to be cold!  The first night, I decided that I would get in with him (surprise, surprise).  Before we actually got in the pool, we sat on the side and I was supposed to use the watering can to get him (and me) used to the freezing cold water.  I knew if this didn’t make him mad, it was smooth sailing from here.  I didn’t think my hair or face would be getting wet but then again I forgot how he loves to splash.  He didn’t stop moving for the entire 30 minutes.  Whether it was his arms, legs or both, he was a kicking/splashing machine.  I overheard one of the guys talking about Landon and telling his wife “That little guy loves the water!”  Even the teacher is impressed with him and his calm demeanor.  Grandma Megan gave him the nickname “Aqua Man” and boy is it fitting.   He is a natural in the water;
watch out Michael Phelps; there’s a new kid in town!

 

A little fun fact about Landon is that he throws up, a lot.  You may be thinking to yourself, “oh yeah, all babies do.”  No, spend a day with this guy and you will have a new understanding of the words “throw up.”  Which brings me to the best part of the swimming lessons; he throws up the whole time and just like that, it’s gone!  I wonder if that is why no one is ever around us in the pool.  Oh well.  More space for us to splash!   Of the three times we have gone so far, there has only been one incidence of a slight fuss.  This was when mommy decided to try and dip him under water and made him chokeOops!  Apparently I don’t listen to directions very well.  At least, this is what coach Kordell is yelling from the side.  I have to remind him this is supposed to be a fun adventure; we are not training for the Olympics (yet).  I did let Kordell have a shot in the pool with him one day since he is SO much better at listening to directions than I am.  One thing he is better at than me (did I just say that?!) is dipping Landon under water. 
 Maybe it is because he likes to pretend he is baptizing him.


The little guy gets so worn out from his 30 mintues of non-stop moving; the first night he even snored on the way home!  Regardless the awkward bikini/tankini issue I am dealing with, Kordell getting in trouble for going into the deep end with our 8 ½ month old baby or some kid telling Kordell “um, that girl has gum in the pool!” (that, being me) - We LOVE swimming!   Thank goodness we still have 6 more classes to play!

Between all of this excitement for the week, Landon found time to pull himself up!!  He was helping me take things out of a box and the next thing you know, he was standing, holding onto the box!  Then, he thought he was a big boy and tried to grab something out of the box and fell in and cut his face.  Those darn boxes win every time!  The next day the sitter said he pulled himself up on the bookshelf and was grabbing the picture frame that is placed there.  For some reason, I find it exciting that I now have to childproof my house. 

 
No wonderful story about this song. 
Bad song + good singer = great song! 
Have a splash-tastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment