I almost forgot how small, tiring, innocent, dependent and just *a lot* that babies are!
What exactly do I mean? Let me explain..
Small: I think that is pretty self explanatory. The crazy thing is, is that Cameron was 8 pounds 3 ounces when he was born and Landon was 6 pounds 14 ounces, so technically Cameron wasn't that small. Who am I kidding? When I can pick up, move and hold my child with one hand, he's small. I find it funny that just about a month ago, I used to think Landon was so small. Not anymore.. I can hardly pick him up! He is like a giant. I just look at Landon's "giant" hands and feet and remember when they looked just like Camerons; so tiny and small (and clean!). No matter 30 pounds or 9 pounds; I still have two precious little babies.
Tiring: Again, I think we all know where I am going with this. I don't do well on little sleep, like, I REALLY don't do well on little sleep. I am not a pleasure to be around, at all. I am physically, emotionally and mentally messed up. It's a true story; it's bad. Just ask my family, they get the pleasure of "lack of sleep Erin." During the week, since I am on maternity leave, I get up with Cameron. The weekends, Kordell gets the "Cameron shift" and I get the "Landon shift." I am still debating which shift is better/worse. See, Cameron may wake up every 3-4 hours to eat, but that is pretty much a 24 hour routine. So if you want to sleep in until 10am (or 2pm) you can. Just feed him and he'll go back to sleep. Landon on the other hand likes to get up anywhere between 5:30-7:30. I tried putting on a TV show so I could continue sleeping, but between him jumping in the bed or him continuously saying "mommy, shows over" every time there is a commercial break, there is no going back to sleep for this shift. It's a matter of getting a full nights sleep but getting up at the crack of dawn or getting interrupted sleep but sleeping in as late as you want. Having both shifts in one night....torture. One day my children will go to bed at 8 and sleep in until 10... they may be in college, but it's bound to happen. Let's just pray Cameron sleeps through the night by the time I return to work or things could get ugly!
Innocent/Dependent: All babies want is a helping hand...babies can't do anything on their own, I mean nothing. Alright, I guess they can drink from a bottle on their own, although we often have to remind Cameron why there is a bottle in his mouth and what the task at hand is! When I had Cameron, the first thing they did at the hospital was put him on my chest. (they didn't do this 3 years ago with Landon!) They didn't examine at him, clean him, weigh him, measure him or anything until he laid on my chest for 1 hour. I like to think this is why Cameron ALWAYS wants to be held. Sometimes I can put him down but I have to make sure he is somehow still touching me. And when he is not being held or touched.. he is probably crying. This is where that whole dependent/innocent thing comes in to play. As much as I don't like constant crying, he is only crying because he isn't happy. Cameron has been having reflux issues since birth so when he cries for hours on end, I know he means no harm. He is depending on us to try and figure out how to cheer him up and make him feel better... one day we will figure it out. For now we will thank God for his innocence and cute face to pull us through.
*A lot*: Maybe you have a different word for it, but that is all I can come up with. Babies are a lot! They eat a lot, sleep a lot, cry a lot, poop a lot, etc. But the real "a lot" is the bottles, laundry and packing. I swear I am spending my whole maternity leave washing bottles and doing laundry. It is never ending. I don't think all of my laundry has been done in 6 weeks; there is always something dirty! Now that Landon is "potty trained" (thanks people for warning me about this regression thing!) we haven't had to pack a diaper bag for a while to leave the house. Depending on how long we are gone we may have to pack a snack or drink but now-a-days... we need bottles, but you never really know how long you will be gone or if they are going to decide they want an extra bottle so you end up packing way more than needed.. Diapers - same thing as above. Burp clothes (yes, plural, with reflux he saturates about 6 a day.) Pacifiers.. wipes.. medicine.. etc. I am usually early or at least on time for things; not anymore. Go ahead and just plan on me being 15 minutes late. Getting out the door with a baby is exhausting. Trying to get a baby out the door with a toddler, impossible.
So yeah, babies are *a lot* but I wouldn't trade these trying times for the world. I am lucky enough to have a husband who understands me and has a way of knowing just the right time to step in and save me. It's the small things he does that means the most. When I got home from the hospital he had left some gifts for me on the counter and as much as I like presents, the thing that meant the most to me is that the shiny one he purchased over a year and a half ago, waiting for this day. When I asked him, "what would've happened if this day didn't come?"
He said "you would have gotten it anyway, you deserve it."
He's definitely "The One Thing..."


No comments:
Post a Comment